Excursions (on and off campus)
Below is a list of excursions that we are working on. We do ask that you sign up prior to coming so that we have ample enough time to find everyone a ride to the excursions. One excursion requires pre-payment but all require sign up. Please fill out one form per person.
• Tubing in Green River Gorge, Leaders: Missy Honeycutt, John Popp, Lauran Holten, Bruce Waycaster, Cost: $10; SIGN UP
• Jump Off Rock and Justus Orchards (Handicapped accessible), Leaders: Larry and Carrie Robinson, Cost: $free with exception of what you might purchase when you are there. SIGN UP
• Apple Festival, Leader: Laura Masterson. SIGN UP
• Hiking Dupont National Forest and Waterfalls: Leaders: Missy Honeycutt, John Popp, Lauran Holten, Bruce Waycaster; Cost: Free; SIGN UP
• Saddle Up Train Rides (SOLD OUT) (Horseback Riding), N Mills River Rd, Mills River, NC 28759; (828) 768-9025: Leader, Kris Swiatocho, 2-hour ride, Cost: $60 (pay by August 23rd to hold your spot, click here.); Forms to be filled out, signed and brought with you, Form A, Form B
• Carl Sandburg Home: Leader, Zane Reavis, Cost: $5; SIGN UP
• Apple Festival, Leader: Ann-Marie Schell; SIGN UP
For more ideas including some things you can do on your own such as the Biltmore House in Asheville, Apple Festival (2 miles away), go to the links below.
Once you arrive at the retreat, you will get a brochure and map of area attractions. http://www.bonclarken.org/nearbyattractions.html
Not your typical singles retreat! I love that the focus is on spiritual growth and encouragement. Meeting like-minded singles in a healthy, safe setting and going on fun excursions is just the icing on the cake! This is my “can’t miss” event of the year. - Lauran H., NC
The pool is a central hub of activity during the summer. Guests of all ages enjoy the opportunity to swim and relax. Pool Saturday 1-5:00pm and Sunday, 2-5:00pm.
Nibble Nook, Ice Cream and Snack Bar: Open Saturday 1-5pm; 1:30-5pm on Sunday.
Portable Hammock Hooks: You are welcome to bring your hammock and hang it up at various locations through the campus.
Enjoy kayaking, canoeing, paddle boating, a tranquil afternoon of fishing, walking around the half-mile trail, and a quiet picnic at the lakeside gazebo. Lake open on Saturday 1-5:00pm and Sunday 2-5:00pm. No outside water craft allowed. If you want to fish, you must bring your own equipment, catch and release, no license required.
Athletic Fields/Courts Available year-round on a first-come, first-served basis
The athletic fields provide ample space for all kinds of outdoor activities and field games including volleyball, soccer, and tennis.
Disc Golf Course
Bonclarken’s 18-hole disc golf course travels through wooded areas, open fields, and across streams. As a great, low impact activity, the course is very popular with all ages.
Bonclarken offers a variety of habitats including creeks, meadows, marshland, and wooded areas to observe birds and other wildlife. Click here for area birding information
A visit to the Bonclarken Gift Shop is a special trip indeed! Souvenirs and Bonclarken apparel items are available, as well as unique handmade items and gifts donated to Bonclarken by Women Ministries groups from Associate Reformed Presbyterian churches. Hours are posted in the office and vary from season to season. Hours: 1-5pm on Saturday, 2-5pm on Sunday.